Tuesday 12 February 2008

Our new allotment




We got the allotment on 14th January, but I've been so preoccupied with revising for my first RHS exam, that I've not got round to blogging about it.
We are allotment number 3, in the last 17 remaining allotment in the village. I'm sure Lever would be turning in his grave to know so few plots remained and had been given over to underutilised fields or concrete. I'm proud to be part of the heritage and have inherited the plot from Mrs H, who is Chair of the also dwindling Port Sunlight Horticultural Society. What a work-horse she is. Up until last year she was running 2 of the allotments - at nearly 80 what an achievement, but sadly she was quite poorly last year and though on the mend, she has decided to drop down to just the one allotment. What a beauty our new allotment is.....about 90 x 30 I would say and with a great greenhouse and shed, what more could a newbie allotmenteer want. And at a two minutes walk from my front-door.
As the pictures will testify it's very over-grown and we'll have our work-cut out, but I can almost taste the fresh peas and the bucket-chilled beer......It's a field of dreams. Well almost. Certainly plenty of couch grass!

No comments: